Sunday, August 7, 2011

Lazy Homemade Indian Food

My friend Kimberly is moving to China in a couple of weeks. Until she goes, she's hosting a weekly potluck each Sunday. This week, it's Indian food. I had planned a super simple raita, and maybe a potato curry or something. And then, I had a rather alarming conversation midweek:

Me: I'm still deciding on my second dish.
Kim: I thought you were going to make some sort of flat bread.
Me: ........

Now, I typically don't commit to bring bread to gatherings. Like the title says, I'm lazy. It's entirely possible I did in this instance, since the last gathering included lots and lots of sangria.

I was going to flake and just bring the raita when I remembered about Five Minute Artisan Bread. Five Minute Artisan Bread is my secret bread weapon that makes me look like one of those people who knead things and monitor rising times and stuff like that. I get tons of compliments when I bring one of their breads, but they are dead easy.

A quick google search confirmed that you can use Five Minute Artisan to make naan. Naan is an Indian flatbread that is very similar to pita bread.


I made a batch of the master dough, and let it cool its heels in the fridge for a few hours. Then, I pulled out peach-sized bits, and rolled them about 1/4" thick, using lots of flour to keep things from sticking. After a few minutes in a hot pan, they were nicely browned and ready to go.

RECIPES

Raita
  • 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and cubed
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup chopped cilantro

If you are using whole coriander and cumin seeds, toss them in the coffee grinder and make into a powder. Mix all ingredients together. Chill overnight.

2 comments:

  1. Mmm sounds very yummy! I never knew of this before so thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy! The cilantro and yogurt should add a kick to it.

    ReplyDelete