Friday, January 20, 2012

Rice Krispie Treats: Can you get even lazier with the laziest dessert ever?

Oh, yes. Yes you can.

I've been having a craving for rice krispie treats lately (or, rather, crispy rice treats, since I'm cheap and I buy the generic cereal). A short discussion with my vegetarian daughter revealed that she doesn't mind marshmallows, and she'll eat things that contain them. Armed with this knowledge, I stopped by the store & picked up the necessary ingredients.

Now, I was even less in the mood to stand over my stove & stir than normally, so, I wondered: can I nuke these? Indeed you can. The Kellogg's website says to microwave for 3 minutes, but I found that was far too long. I did mine 45 seconds at a time, stirring in between, and discovered that they were done after two short jaunts in the microwave. Stir in cereal, pat it in a pan, and, you're done!

RECIPE

3 tablespoons butter
1 10 ounce bag mini marshmallows
enough cereal for it to stick together.

Melt the marshmallows & butter together. When it's smooth, start stirring in cereal. Yeah, the official recipe has a measurement for the cereal, but, why bother? This is mixing, not baking. There's no chemistry involved here. Save your time & eyeball it. I promise, no one will die.

No comments:

Post a Comment